Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Secret Quilter

At the Las Vegas Modern Quilt Guild Retreat, we decided to do a Secret Quilter Swap each day of the retreat. Of course, I didn't get photos of all of the items I made because I did them last minute, but I thought I would post the wonderful things I received.



I was spoiled by my secret person.  The first day I received the most darling drawstring bag with a sugar skull necklace inside.  The necklace is actually made from a Scrabble tile!
A few of us at the shop I work at have a thing for Sugar Skulls.  They have already tried to steal it, I love it!  The Etsy store, HomeStudio, has some great necklaces, I may have to buy some more.

 The second day I received this drawstring bag full of some of my favorite candy. The inside is lined with PUL (polyurethane laminate) so it can be washed.  

The third day i received this mini quilt. I had to steal the photo from Nichola, who made it.  I already have it hanging in my sewing room and I couldn't get back far enough for a good photo. 

 I also received a $5 gift card to Starbucks, which will satisfy my hazelnut iced coffee fix for a couple of days, and two decals; a gnome and a bird.  I am still trying to figure out what to put them on. I don't want to waste them on something not worthy of their cuteness.  All of my gifts were great and I had so much fun with the swap. I cannot wait for the next retreat.

I decided this weekend to re-organize all of my fabric. I went with the cheap method of folding them on comic book boards.  You can view a tutorial here.  Silly me, I bought 100 and figured that would be enough (this is only for the pieces 1 yard and over right? there's not THAT many).  Well I had to go back to the comic book store....TWICE.  That's right I officially have over 200 pieces of fabric one yard and over.  I had no idea it was that bad....I have a problem.  I will have to snap some photos of the makeover, but it is not photo-ready yet...need more shelves...so horrible.

 

3 comments:

  1. Just ignore the 'thank you' on the starbucks gift card. hahahaha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled on your blog! I am glad you started one because I have always been inspired by your projects. I love the converging corners! That is a tute that I have also earmarked and had briefly considered for my orange strips. Also, I have started a knitted rug with strip scraps, but I started it before I saw yours, so we must have been inspired at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike! The converging corners is a great pattern, but I doubt I will make another. Too slow of a process for me, I love my strip piecing!!

    ReplyDelete