Monday, May 27, 2013

Little Bits of Sewing...



This weekend I got a bit of sewing done that was not work related.  It has been awhile that I have made something simply because I wanted to do it.

For quite some time I have been wanting to make a mini-sized Swoon block.  I absolutely LOVE this block.  Making it with the Creative Grids Quick Trim Ruler makes it quick and easy. This ruler is a must-have for me.  Watch their great video to see all that it can do.

The original blocks finish at 24 inches.  I wanted mine to finish at 8 inches.  This means all those little half square triangles have to finish at one inch.  One, tiny inch.  I actually made them at about two inches and cut them down to a perfect 1-1/2" HST.  When piecing this tiny, accuracy is completely necessary.


I used some of my Denyse Schmidt Chicopee fat quarters I had waiting to go into something.  The background is the a light grey small polka dot that was in the Vintage Modern line by Bonnie and Camille for Moda.  I bought yards of all of these small polka dots. They make wonderful background fabrics and are in such yummy colors.


I was playing around with pieces of the unfinished block and fell in love with this block layout.  I have to experiment more with this at the larger size - love it!  

My new sewing space is pretty much back together and organized. I will take photos when It spruce it up a little more.  My mom had two vintage Danish chairs with low backs and no arms that I am going to cover for the sewing room.  They were my Great-Grandmothers, and they are perfect sewing chairs!  I am excited how it is all turning out and will post more on it later.  I also will be doing some major de-stashing.  I cannot believe how much stuff I have accumulated.  Way too much stuff.

I am ending my weekend watching Arrested Development on Netflix.  I decided before I watch the new episodes I am going to re-watch the series.  It amazes me that this show has not been on TV for years, yet is still so current and so popular. So, until next time I hope you enjoy my Mini Swoon.



1 comment:

  1. I love the mini-swoon! I need to de-stash, as well, but I'll bet your 'extra' is more interesting than my '"extra'!

    ReplyDelete